[INDOLOGY] To post or not to post

Philipp Maas philipp.a.maas at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 10:49:09 UTC 2016

Dear colleagues,

I think that Arlo very appropriately highlighted the fact that we are
dealing in this thread with at least two interrelated culturally specific
topics. The most obvious of these is “sexual harassment,” on which the
introductory paragraph of the very informative Wikipedia Article
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_harassment> says that “The legal and
social understanding of sexual harassment, however, varies by culture.” For
example, sexual harassment is a legal crime in Switzerland, but not in
Germany, and, apparently, also not in the U.S.A. This, of course, does not
mean that either in the U.S.A or in Germany more severe forms of harassment
are usually tolerated.

The second culture-specific issue involved here is the way in which cases
of violations of legal laws and ethical norms may or should be communicated
publicly. This concerns the question which personal rights possible
victims, suspects and alleged culprits have. I believe that mentioning a
personal name in full, like it was done in the articles of “The Guardian”
that Audrey referred us to, would be totally unacceptable under German
press legislation.

Obviously, awareness for cultural differences is called for not only
concerning the subject of our studies, but also in the dialogue among
colleagues.

Best wishes,

Philipp

Dr. Philipp A. Maas
Research Associate
Insitut für Indologie und Zentralasienwissenschaften
Universität Leipzig

https://spp1448.academia.edu/PhilippMaas