[INDOLOGY] Indologist at Center of Sexual Harassment Mess at Berkeley

Matthew Kapstein mkapstei at uchicago.edu
Thu Oct 6 08:25:25 UTC 2016

Dear colleagues,

If I may:

I believe that it is appropriate to report matters of concern involving members of our field -- such
as Profs. Wentworth and Dirks -- that may have some impact on the status of the field.

However, I do not think that we are in a position to discuss the merits or demerits of the matters
in question, which may not in themselves be immediately within the concerns our list and about which we
in any case have no special knowledge or authority.

And haggling about who is or is not right or wrong about political or impolitic correctness or error is
merely a waste of everybody's time.

So let's leave it at that, unless there is something of Indological substance to add.

Matthew

Matthew Kapstein
Directeur d'études,
Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes

Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies,
The University of Chicago