[INDOLOGY] clearer Q re: vidūṣaka?

Jo Brill josephine.brill at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 12:41:34 UTC 2016

Apologies to list members for my confused second paragraph. To clarify my
questions --

1. Is there a Pāṇinian way to derive vidūṣaka from vidvāṁs, given that
samprasāraṇa gives a short u where we want a long one? I don't think so,
but ...
2. Is there any other way to derive vidūṣaka from vidvāṁs -- perhaps
involving some speculative etymologizing?

Many thanks to Professor Cardona for filling out the derivation of vidūṣaka
from the causative of √duṣ. In this prakriyā, the required long ū comes
nicely from 6.4.90, doṣo ṇau.

Thank you again,
Jo