[INDOLOGY] Georges Dumezil's Tripartite Ideology text

Christophe Vielle christophe.vielle at uclouvain.be
Wed Nov 30 08:45:19 UTC 2016

L'idéologie tripartie des Indo-Européens, Bruxelles : Latomus (Collection Latomus 31), 1958,
is currently out of print (the series "Coll. Latomus" is now with Peeters publ.: http://www.peeters-leuven.be/search_serie_book.asp?nr=299 ).
As far as I know, no English translation was made of this book.

Alf Hiltebeitel made a translation of the 1st edition of
Heur et malheur du guerrier. Aspects mythiques de la fonction guerrière chez les Indo-Européens, Paris : Flammarion, 19691,  19852 : The Destiny of the Warrior, Chicago UP, 1970.
https://archive.org/details/GeorgesDumezilTheDestinyOfTheWarrior1970

and of the 3rd part of the 1st edition of
Mythe et épopée II. Types épiques indo-européens : un héros, un sorcier, un roi, Paris : Gallimard (Bibliothèque des sciences humaines), 19711, 19772, 19864 : The Destiny of a King, Chicago UP, 1973.
https://archive.org/details/GeorgesDumezilTheDestinyOfAKing
https://archive.org/details/GeorgesDumezilTheDestinyOfAKing1973

The translation of two other parts of the latter have been ed. by J. Puhvel, The Stakes of the Warrior [https://archive.org/details/GeorgesDumezilTheStakesOfTheWarrior], and The Plight of a Sorcerer [https://archive.org/details/GeorgesDumezilJaanPuhvelDavidWeeksThePlightOfASorcererUniversityOfCaliforniaPress1986], Berkeley, UCP, 1983 and 1986. There also exists also English translations of Dumézil's Mitra-Varuna (Paris: Gallimard, 1940/48) by D. Coltman, New York : Zone Books, 1988 [https://archive.org/details/georges-dumezil-mitra-varuna - https://archive.org/details/GeorgesDumezilMitraVarunaAnEssayOnTwoIndoEuropeanRepresentationsOfSovereignty1990 - https://archive.org/details/Mitra-varunaAnEssayOnTwoIndo-europeanRepresentationsOfSovereignty]; Les dieux des Germains (Paris : PUF, 1959) + 4 articles, dir. by E. Haugen, Gods of the Ancient Northmen, Berkeley, UCP, 1973 [https://archive.org/details/GeorgesDumezilGodsOfTheAncientNorthmenUniversityOfCaliforniaPress1973 - https://archive.org/details/bub_gb_DZIeNMgZhRwC];  La religion romaine archaïque (Paris : Payot, 1966) by Philipp Krapp, Archaic Roman Religion, 2 vols, Chicago UP, 1970 [https://archive.org/details/dumezil-archaic-roman-religion-with-an-appendix-on-the-religion-of-the-etruscans-part-1 - https://archive.org/details/dumezil-archaic-roman-religion-with-an-appendix-on-the-religion-of-the-etruscans-part-2 - https://archive.org/details/ArchaicRomanReligion]; Du mythe au roman (Paris : PUF, 1970) by D. Coltman, From Myth to Fiction, Chicago UP, 1970; Mythe et épopée III (Paris : Gallimard, 1973) ed. by U. Strutynski, Camillus, Berkeley, UCP, 1980 [https://archive.org/details/GeorgesDumezilCamillusAStudyOfIndoEuropeanReligionAsRomanHistory1980].

Best wishes,
Christophe Vielle

Le 30 nov. 2016 à 08:32, Tejas Aralere <tsaralere at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Dear All,
>
> Does anyone have a PDF of George Dumézil's "L'Idéologie Tripartie des Indo-Européens"?  An english translation (if it exists) would be perfect, but even a copy in French would be appreciated.  I just can't seem to find it anywhere.
>
> Thank you,
> Tejas Aralere
> tsaralere at umail.ucsb.edu

Christophe Vielle