[INDOLOGY] yamas and niyamas

Peter Mukunda Pasedach peter.pasedach at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 24 17:41:41 UTC 2016

Dear Patrick, Bradley and others,

the question of the origin of the Yamas and Niyamas is indeed a
fascinating one, and I would also be very much interested to hear more
from somebody more knowledgeable about the scriptural evidence of the
five great vows of the Jainas. What I have managed to find so far is
the fourth chapter of the Daśavaikālika Sūtra (Dasaveāliya Sutta(?)),
in whose sūtras 11-15 we get five great vows, corresponding to the
yamas in order, but not yet using the familiar terms: 1) prāṇātipātād
viramaṇam (=ahiṃsā), 2) mṛṣāvādād viramaṇam (=satya), 3) adattadānād
viramaṇam (=asteya), 4) maithunād viramaṇam (=brahmacarya) and 5)
parigrahād viramaṇam (=aparigraha). I am taking these terms from the
sanskrit chāya of K.C. Lalwani (1973) who in his foreword dates it to
"around B.C. 429". In the Praśnavyākaraṇasūtra (I have access to it
via the 1962 Shri Akhil Bharat S. S. Jain Shastroddhara Samiti edition
from Rajkot, the following passage a quote from the sanskrit chāya on
p. 552.) we have "prathamaṃ bhavaty ahiṃsā, dvitīyaṃ satyavacanam iti
prajñaptam | dattānujñātasaṃvaraś ca, brahmacaryā(ed. has
'a')parigrahatvaṃ ca || 2 ||" So here we almost arrive at the terms
used by Patañjali in Yogasūtra 2.30.

Best,

Peter