[INDOLOGY] Rice farming in India much older than thought

Witzel, Michael witzel at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Nov 21 14:39:10 UTC 2016

Dear Jarrod and All,

two points:  The cultivation of rice in the Indus Civilization is old news. I have known this for some 10 years, from my colleague here at HARP, the Harvard Excavation project at Harappa. Will ask him (Richard Meadow)

As for rice: genetic studies, also some 10 yeras ago, have shown that cultivated Indian rice is a hybrid of Chinese (“Japonica’) and local Indian wild rice (Nivara), see publications by Yoichiro Sato, Chikyu..Inst., Kyoto.

The much hyped (also for early Iron) Lahuradeva in eastern UP., with its 6 rice grains, represents wild rice (Nivara)  — as can be seen in their pytholiths. Cultivated rice enters the picture only around 2500-2000 BCE (from memory)

I will look up the data, over Thanksgiving.

Cheers,
Michael