[INDOLOGY] dhanus/dhavin (Sagittarius)

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 01:11:29 UTC 2016

Yes, you are right. I never saw a dhanvi kind of usages in specific
reference to the rāśi. .

The most prominent, popular, day to day use of the word dhanus here in
south India is as in the compound dhanurmāsa. The period from 15th December
to 15th January is called dhanurmāsa. More precisely, the one month period
ending with  makarasankramaṇam/ makarasankrānti is called dhanurmāsam in
Telugu.

It is the period during which ānḍāl̥ , the composer of tiruppāvai is
performed her pāvu , month long Viṣṇu- worshipping vow-bound
Bhakti-rituals. Devotees re-enact the rituals by waking up during the early
hours of this peak winter season.

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

(Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA )