[INDOLOGY] dhanus/dhavin (Sagittarius)

Manu Francis manufrancis at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 20:37:08 UTC 2016

Dear Bill,

The image you have found is illustrated in:

Desai, Kalpana. With contributions by B.V. Shetti and Manisha Nene.
Assisted by Vandana Prapanna. (2002). Jewels on the Crescent. Masterpieces
of the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya formerly Prince of
Wales Museum of Western India. Mumbai: CSMVS, in association with Mapin
Publishing, Ahmedabad.
Item 49, page 56. See here
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/r2y9ez3ab82e4t2/AP%20%40%20Prince%20of%20Wales.jpg?dl=0>
.
Discussed page 250.With reference to a contribution by B.V. Shetti,
"Saura-Pitha or the Solar Alatar in Indian Numismatics", pp. 335-339. In:
Gupta, P. L., MacDowall, D. W., Sharma, S., & Garg, S. (1992). *Indian
numismatics, history, art, and culture: Essays in the honour of Dr. P.L.
Gupta*. Delhi: Agam Kala Prakashan.

And see The Madras Tamil Lexicon about Sagittarius here
<http://dsalsrv02.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/philologic/showrest_?conc.6.1.5655.0.8.tamillex>
.

With very best wishes.

--

Emmanuel Francis
Chargé de recherche CNRS, Centre d'étude de l'Inde et de l'Asie du Sud (UMR