[INDOLOGY] dhanus/dhavin (Sagittarius)

Bill Mak bill.m.mak at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 17:13:20 UTC 2016

Dear colleagues,

A colleague of mine is looking for a high-resolution image of dhanus/dhavin (Sagittarius) in Indian sculpture, mural or manuscript. I came across an image from the internet which gives the description: "C. Saura Sect of Hinduism. Zodiac Wheel. Dolerite. Andhra Pradesh, India”:
http://www.billmak.com/?attachment_id=1924 <http://www.billmak.com/?attachment_id=1924>

Could anyone confirm the provenance of this piece or any other similar object?

Textually, I am also curious about the variants dhanu/dhanvin. Sphujidhvaja in his Yavanajātaka gave dhanus, dhanurdhara and dhavin. Varāhamihira in addition gave the Sanskritized greek term taukṣika (from τοξότης). I am curious which form the modern Indian languages took - the bow, the archer/centaur or both?

Best regards,

Bill

--
Bill M. Mak, PhD

Visiting research scholar
Institute for the Study of the Ancient World (ISAW)
New York University
15 East 84th Street
New York, NY 10028
US

Associate Professor
Yoshidahonmachi, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto, Japan 606-8501
〒606-8501 京都市左京区吉田本町
京都大学人文科学研究所

email: mak at zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Tel:+81-75-753-6961
Fax:+81-75-753-6903

copies of my publications may be found at:
http://www.billmak.com