[INDOLOGY] 'Vedic' astrology

patrick mccartney psdmccartney at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 04:50:15 UTC 2016

Nagaraj,

regarding your last email over 'most' v 'many' I was specifically referring
to the people that I have interviewed. Perhaps this could have been more
clearly articulated. This was not some broad, insensitive generalisation. I
can assure you that from my data set over 50% of people, which apparently
is the cut off mark for determining whether to use 'most' or 'many',
responded that they don't really know what 'Vedic maths' is. Not a single
person (mostly westerners) raised the distinction you make regarding the
difference between the varieties of maths from the sulba sutras and
chandas. It is interesting, I think, that, *many*people have responded in
one of two ways to the question: What is 'Vedic mathematics?': 1) "I don't
know what it is"; or 2) "It's something to do with counting faster". When I
think of 'Vedic maths' it is also with the 'speed maths' variety in mind.
Thank you for clarifying the differences. I appreciate it.

All the best,

Patrick McCartney, PhD
Fellow
School of Culture, History & Language