[INDOLOGY] 'Vedic' astrology

Bill Mak bill.m.mak at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 19:13:19 UTC 2016

On Nov 16, 2016, at 9:40 AM, Howard Resnick <hr at ivs.edu> wrote:

> Thank you Bill. I will focus on the case of ISKCON which I know fairly well.
>
> Regarding the “pseudo-scientifc” claims of “Vedic” or Puranic cosmography, I suggest that one seriously consider the work of the late Dr. Richard Thompson on this topic.
>
> Best,
> Howard

Kirfel’s two works, Die Kosmographie der Inder (1920) and Das Purāṇa vom Weltgebäude (1954) remain the standard works on the subject of Indian cosmography and cosmology. Though dated, I do not think they have been superseded and scholars on this list should be familiar with them. Sadakata has provided some important updates in his two books in Japanese but a truly scholarly work in English on the topic has yet to emerge. Has any of Thompson’s works been reviewed? Did he have anything new to add? I do not want to sound unreasonably dismissive, but there is a long line of self-proclaimed Vedic scientists who try to convince the public that just because they have a PhD in mathematics, astrophysics or any of the “hard” sciences, they will be irrefutably right in all other fields in the humanities and social sciences. If I have a PhD in Indology, I would not write a book on brain science and put my PhD on the book cover. I cannot imagine why anyone who wants to be taken seriously would do that. This reminds me of an embarrassing occasion at the last World Sanskrit Conference in Bangkok where a speaker in the scientific panel presented a paper on the science of “Buddhist yoga” and bewildered the audience with fantastic formulae of astrophysics. But the topics of certain scientists trying to prove that there are theories of relativity or quantum physics in the Vedas or that the vimānas are evidences for Indian’s ancient space technology are old stories which I do not need to reiterate here (http://www.deccanherald.com/content/452573/iisc-research-debunked-long-ago.html <http://www.deccanherald.com/content/452573/iisc-research-debunked-long-ago.html>)

If you have come across any serious works on Vedic astronomy or even Vedic astrology which you have read and believe to merit scholarly consideration, please share here or with me offline.

--
Bill M. Mak

Institute for the Study of the Ancient World (ISAW)
New York University
15 East 84th Street
New York, NY 10028
US

Yoshidahonmachi, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8501
Japan
〒606-8501 京都市左京区吉田本町
京都大学人文科学研究所

Tel:+81-75-753-6961
Fax:+81-75-753-6903

copies of my publications may be found at:
http://www.billmak.com