Re: [INDOLOGY] Rare commentary on Sarasvatīkaṇṭhābharaṇa

Christophe Vielle christophe.vielle at uclouvain.be
Tue Nov 15 12:55:49 UTC 2016

I should have add that there is another good ed. of the  adh. 2 pād. 1-3 of the SKBh (gram.) based on the Madras Ms. R. no. 4179 :
The Uṇādisūtras of Bhoja with the Vṛtti of Daṇḍanātha Nārāyaṇa, ed. T. R. Chintamani, Madras University Sanskrit Series no. 7 (= The Uṇādisūtras in Various Recensions) part VI [A], 1934 (Reprint New Delhi: Navrang, 1993):
http://www.new.dli.ernet.in/handle/2015/292655
http://www.new.dli.ernet.in/handle/2015/496423
http://www.new.dli.ernet.in/handle/2015/368313

See p. xii about the use of the name Sarasvatīkaṇṭhābharaṇa

Le 15 nov. 2016 à 12:43, Madhav Deshpande <mmdesh at umich.edu> a écrit :

> Thanks, Christophe and Alessandro.  Great help in accessing these rare books.
>
> Madhav Deshpande
>
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 6:23 AM, Christophe Vielle <christophe.vielle at uclouvain.be> wrote:
> Thank you much for this, dear Alessandro.
>
> Note that beside Bhoja's "ālaṃkārika" Sarasvatīkaṇṭhābharaṇa, there is another, grammatical (in sūtra-form), Sarasvatīkaṇṭhābharaṇa ascribed to the same (which is not distinguished in Cahill's Bibliography).
> The edition of the Sarasvatīkaṇṭhābharaṇa-vyākaraṇa, in 8 adhyāya-s, ascribed to Bhoja, with the (probably 11th c., contemporary) vṛtti Hṛdayahāriṇī of Nārāyaṇabhaṭṭa Daṇḍanātha, was left incomplete in the Trivandrum Sanskrit Series; it was planned in 5 volumes, of which the first four only were issued:
>
> vol. I [http://www.new.dli.ernet.in/handle/2015/313457 or http://www.new.dli.ernet.in/handle/2015/407040] = TSS no. 117 (1935) contains the adh. 1,
>
> vol. II [http://www.new.dli.ernet.in/handle/2015/313459 or http://www.new.dli.ernet.in/handle/2015/407042] = no. 127 (1937) the adh. 2,
>
> vol. III [http://www.new.dli.ernet.in/handle/2015/313458 or http://www.new.dli.ernet.in/handle/2015/407041] = no. 140 (1938) the adh. 3-4,
>
> and vol. IV [http://www.new.dli.ernet.in/handle/2015/313401 or http://www.new.dli.ernet.in/handle/2015/406984] = no. 154 (1948) the adh. 5-6 [+ index].
>
> The vol. V with the adh. 7-8 was said ‘in the press’ from 1948 onwards : it should have had the no. 182 in the series (the no. with the title of the vol. is still said ‘not yet published’ in 2005). One can fear that the manuscript of this last volume is now lost (I mean that the work possibly ready for the press was destroyed or is lost somewhere in the ORI&ML building…).
>
> The edition of the complete grammar by T. R. Chintamani published in the Madras University Sanskrit Series no. 11 (1937: http://www.new.dli.ernet.in/handle/2015/52186) has only the text of the sūtra-s, as it is the case of the 1992 ed. of the last (8th) adh. (which adds for each sūtra an useful anvaya giving the sūtrārtha and a Gujarati commentary by the editor : http://books.google.be/books?id=uICH235KSUMC).
>
> Due to the importance of this post-pāṇinean work, as stressed on by Louis Renou (Études védiques et pāṇinéennes, t. 3, 1957, PICI series no. 4, pp. 121-7) and Robert Birwé (“Nārāyaṇa Daṇḍanātha’s Commentary on Rules III.2, 106-121 of Bhoja’s Sarasvatīkaṇṭhābharaṇa”, JAOS 84/2, 1964, pp. 150-162), the completing of the edition of the Hṛdayahāriṇī vṛtti is something hoped.
>
> Here are a few Mss. I hinted :

> [...]

Christophe Vielle
Louvain-la-Neuve