[INDOLOGY] bhakti/Vedic astrology

Martin Gansten martin.gansten at pbhome.se
Tue Nov 15 06:43:14 UTC 2016

This is getting off the topic a bit, but just to clarify: both
Babylonian and early Greek-language astrology was explicitly sidereal in
the sense that it defined the vernal equinoctial point as falling
somewhere within the sign Aries rather than Aries commencing from it.
The same seems to have been true of pre-Islamic Persian astrology. So I
agree with Luis that 'sidereal' won't do as a synonym of 'Indian'.
Indian astrology differs in many other technical respects from its
cousin traditions further west: some aspects of the Hellenistic system
never made it to India, or only did so a millennium later with the
Perso-Arabic transmission, and new methods were developed in India, some
on the basis of indigenous lore such as the nakṣatras.

Martin