[INDOLOGY] bhakti

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 03:40:26 UTC 2016

Not all sections of those respecting the Vedas are happy with the word
'Vedic' qualifying 'Astrology'. : For example, Arya Samajis consider
Astrology 'a superstition' and since they believe that such 'superstitions'
can not be Vedic, they do not like coinages such as 'Vedic' Astrology. Even
among non-Arya samaji Veda-lovers who like to take pride in Vedanga
jyotisha and consider that to be not connected with the destiny-knowing
(daivajna) jyotisha, they oppose calling Astrology 'Vedic'. If there is any
opportunity to change the nomenclatures in vogue they would love to remove
the ' -logy' part of the word since that part of that word gives the
impression that Astrology is a science.

It may also be a good idea to use 'Tropical' , 'Sidereal'  in the names of
the two traditions since that indicates the method difference rather
than giving scope for questions such as which part of the world Mesopotamia
or Greece is the origin of western Astrology or whether the so called Vedic
Astrology has got to do with the Vedas (alone) or not etc.

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

(Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA )