[INDOLOGY] bhakti

Shyam Ranganathan shyamr at yorku.ca
Fri Nov 4 14:36:15 UTC 2016

Dear Patrick ,

When I was a grad student in Joseph O'Connell's class on Bhakti in the
90s, he started the class with a review of some portions of the Mantra
section of the Vedas, as a backdrop to later developments in Tamil
(āḻvārs etc.,) and further developments in Bhakti Vedanta---including
Gaudiya Vaishnavism.

A theme he emphasized is that the idea of bhakti, or binding oneself to
a deity, is pretty old in the Vedic tradition as the Mantras often
express sentiments of loyalty and fidelity to the deity that is invoked.

What serves to bring the continuity of this theme to the fore is to
follow the development of Yoga, which is pretty much the same as Bhakti,
as a philosophical movement.

The early mention of yoga of course is in the /Kaṭha //Upaniṣad/ where
Yama describes success in Yoga as taking one to Viṣṇu’s realm. Later,
this idea of approximating the Lord becomes central to Yoga in
Patañjali’s /Yoga Sūtra/as /Īśvara/ praṇidhāna. Ramanuja carries on this
theme by identifying bhakti as a kind of /jñāna/ but further a kind of
/upāsana/, which evokes images of meditation but also offerings to
sacrificial fires. This serves to highlight a continuity of a theme
stretching back to the early Vedas of the approximation of a deity via
Vedic themes of sacrifice.

What shifts from the early to the later period is that in the early
/mantra/ period worshiping a deity was motivated by desire for
outcomes—a practice that is consequentialist as consequentialism is the
view that right procedure is justified by a good outcome. What happens
by the time of the /Upaniṣad/s is that consequentialism starts to be
viewed with suspicion because, as Yama himself describes in the /Kaṭha
Upaniṣad/, those who are geared towards outcomes do not take control of
their life and this results in ruin. So what we see happening is a
switch to a radical procedural ethics, that treats practice as defined
by a regulative ideal, the Lord, and the worship or approximation of
this ideal as resulting in the good. It is superficially like
consequentialism but it is contrary. This radical proceeduralism is
Yoga, or Bhakti. The main difference is that Yoga or Bhakti is a causal
story of how the right brings about the good and is the opposite of
Virtue Ethics that claims that the good character brings about the right
action. Bhakti/Yoga rather claims that the right practice is defined by
the ideal of the right (the Lord) and perfecting this practice is the
good. Consequentialism in contrast is an account not of moral causation
but justification.

So while the ideas that the bhakti tradition rely upon are ancient, and
not implausibly described as Vedic, it is true that there is a radical
shift that characterizes the latter part of the Vedic tradition starting
with the /Upaniṣad/s. We see this transition from consequentialism to a
radical proceeduralism of bhakti as a theme of the /Gītā/ , for
instance. I think it also explains why Brahman as development comes to
occupy a central place in later Vedic thought.

If you are interested in this, I’ve written a bit about it:

Ranganathan, S. (forthcoming) 2017. /Vedas and Upani//ṣads/. In /Volume
1: The History of Evil in Antiquity (2000BCE-450CE)./ Edited by Tom
Angier. Of /History of Evil /edited by C. Taliaferro and C. Meister.
London: Routledge.

For a wider survey of this tradition, please see

Ranganathan, Shyam. 2017. 'Three Vedāntas: Three Accounts of Character,
Freedom and Responsibility.' In /The Bloomsbury Research Handbook of
Indian Ethics /edited by Shyam Ranganathan, 249-274. Of /Bloomsbury
Research Handbooks in Asian Philosophy, /edited by Chakravarthi
Ram-Prasad and Sor-hoon Tan. London: Bloomsbury Academic.

If you are interested in how Bhakti/Yoga is a different moral theory
from Consequentialism, Deontology and Virtue Ethics, please see:

Ranganathan, Shyam. 2017. 'Patañjali’s Yoga: Universal Ethics as the
Formal Cause of Autonomy.' In /The Bloomsbury Research Handbook of
Indian Ethics /edited by Shyam Ranganathan, 177-202 Of /Bloomsbury
Research Handbooks in Asian Philosophy, /edited by Chakravarthi
Ram-Prasad and Sor-hoon Tan. London: Bloomsbury Academic.

The latter two should be out in a couple of weeks.

Best wishes,

Shyam

Shyam Ranganathan

Department of Philosophy,

South Asian Studies, Department of Social Sciences

York University Toronto