[INDOLOGY] Eras and Dates

Manu Francis manufrancis at gmail.com
Mon May 23 20:14:52 UTC 2016

Dear Donald,

The second scheme refers to the regnal year of the king (whether he issued
the inscription or it was issued in his realm).
I was precisely looking at a 5th-century Pallava copper-plate inscription
when I read your email:
siṃhavarmma-māhārājasya [sic] vijayasaṃvatsare ekādaśe pauṣyamāse
kṛṣṇapakṣe daśamyām mayā dattā tāṃpra [sic] paṭṭikā.
With best wishes

--

Emmanuel Francis
Chargé de recherche CNRS, Centre d'étude de l'Inde et de l'Asie du Sud (UMR

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> In the Mitākṣarā commentary on Yājñavalkysmṛti 1.319, royal edicts should
include a date given in two ways:

> [lekhyam…] yuktaṃ kālena ca dvividhena śakanṛpātītarūpeṇa
saṃvatsararūpeṇa ca kālena

> The first scheme is clear era to me, namely the Śaka era (78 CE), but the
date "according to Saṃvatsara" is not. A little digging suggested that it
might refer to the Vikrama era or, more likely it seemed, to one of the
cyclical years of the 60-year Bārhaspatya saṃvatsara of Jupiter (per Sewell
and Dikshit’s Indian Calendar).