[INDOLOGY] Destruction of Buddhist monasteries

Shaw, Julia julia.shaw at ucl.ac.uk
Wed May 18 12:50:47 UTC 2016

Also useful for the later history of Buddhism
in central and eastern India respectively:

Willis, M.D.
2013 . Avalokitesvara of the six syllables: Locating the practice
of the 'Great vehicle' in the landscape of central India , in Evo
Suyadi: Essays in Honor of Richard Salomon's 65th Birthday ,
eds. C. A. Bromberg , T. J. Lenz , and J. Neelis . Bulletin of the
Asia Institute 23, 221-30.

Amar , A. S. , 2012 . Buddhist responses to Bra  hma n a challenges
in medieval India: Bodhgaya and Gaya . Journal of the Royal
Asiatic Society 22 , 155-85.

Best wishes,
Julia

--------------------------------

Dr Julia Shaw

Lecturer in South Asian Archaeology

Institute of Archaeology UCL

31-34 Gordon Square

London WC1H 0PY

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/archaeology/people/staff/shaw

For patterns in the archaeological landscape across space and time at Sanchi and surrounding area, you might want to have a look at detailed discussion with accompanying data and maps (including later history of Buddhism and relationship with broader cultic geographies) in:

Shaw, J. (2007). Buddhist Landscapes in Central India: Sanchi hill and archaeologies of religious and social change, c. 3rd century BC to 5th century AD..<https://iris.ucl.ac.uk/iris/publication/58687/1> London: British Association for South Asian Studies (British Academy); Leftcoast Press.

I can send you some PDF material if you want to email me directly.
Best wishes, Julia
-------------------------------

Dr Julia Shaw

Lecturer in South Asian Archaeology

Institute of Archaeology UCL

31-34 Gordon Square

London WC1H 0PY

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/archaeology/people/staff/shaw

Dear List,
Can any one refer me to a comprehensive discussion of the archaeological
evidence of the destruction/appropriation of Buddhist monasteries and other
religious establishments in pre-Islamic period?...Any thing beyond the
writings of Richard Davis and Richard Eaton!

-
D N Jha
Professor of History (retired),
University of Delhi
9, Uttaranchal Apartments
5, I.P. Extension, Delhi 110 092
Tel: + 2277 1049
Cell: 98111 43090 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting [X] 98111 43090 FREE  end_of_the_skype_highlighting
jdnarayan at gmail.com<http://list.indology.info/mailman/listinfo/indology_list.indology.info>