Re: [INDOLOGY] earliest date of pīṭhā's

Paolo Eugenio Rosati paoloe.rosati at gmail.com
Tue May 17 13:27:48 UTC 2016

Dear professor Karp,

Kamakhya - the place where is preserved the *yoni *of the goddess Sati -
could be the earliest "seat of the goddess" (adi-pitha). It shows
archaeological evidences of the fourth-fifth century, even if the actual
temple is a new structure, rebuilt in the middle of sixteenth century and
reworked during the Ahom invasion of Assam.
However, because of the earthquake and flood in Assam it is difficult to
confirm this date with massive archaeological proofs.
Another thing to bring in mind is that we are not sure about when the place
became an Hindu religious sanctuary and if there was another non-Hindu
temple on the hill.

Best,
Paolo

On 17 May 2016 at 12:57, Artur Karp <karp at uw.edu.pl> wrote:

> May I repeat my enquiry
>
> - about the earliest, archaeologically confirmed date for the Sati-devi
> shrines known as pīṭha?
>
> Artur Karp

>> Dear Colleagues,
>>
>> Let me first express my gratitude to those of you who have shared their
>> knowledge with me. I was unwell and unable to thank you at the proper
>> moment.
>>
>> And - now. What is the earliest, archaeologically confirmed, date for the
>> Sati-devi cult practices performed in the sanctuaries - known as pīṭhā's?
>>
>> With regards,
>>
>> Artur Karp (ret.)
>> South Asian Studies Deptt
>> University of Warsaw
>> Poland

Paolo E. Rosati
Oriental Archaeologist
PhD candidate in "Civilisations of Asia & Africa"
Section: South Asia
Dep. Italian Institute of Oriental Studies (ISO)
'Sapienza' University of Rome
*https://uniroma1.academia.edu/PaoloRosati/
<https://uniroma1.academia.edu/PaoloRosati/>*
paoloe.rosati at uniroma1.it