[INDOLOGY] by chance, accidentally

Howard Resnick hr at ivs.edu
Mon May 16 23:02:47 UTC 2016

Interesting question. In the Maha-bharata, for example, human effort — purusha-kAra — is contrasted with daiva — providence/divine intervention or will. In Bhagavad-gita 9.10, we find the statement that “Prakrti begets…by my supervision/oversight (adhy-aksha)." In the Gita 13.21, and elsewhere, we find a two part concept of causality that matches the twin ontology of body and soul. Not to speak of the philosophical implications of karma.

These are well known approaches to causality.

I am also curious to know to what extent Indian tradition has considered pure chance, sometimes called yadRcchA, or adverbially akasmAt, to be a legitimate cause of events or conditions in this world.

Howard