[INDOLOGY] Symbology of Om

Dominic Goodall dominic.goodall at gmail.com
Sat May 7 13:24:15 UTC 2016

Dear Corinna,

It’s quite common to see a representation of OṂ at the top of inscribed stelae from the Khmer-speaking world in the Angkorean period and also on the headdresses of some sculpted figures.
I hope that the image I am attaching will come through; it is a picture of the headdress of a dvārapālaka in the Bangkok National Museum about which the Museum label says: “Guardian. Khmer art, Baphuon style, 11th century A.D. Found at Prasat Muang Tum, Prakonchai District, Burirum Province.” The candra and the śikhā, suggesting, I suppose, Mantramārga influence, are both clearly visible.

But perhaps you are primarily looking for examples from the subcontinental mainland ?

Dominic