[INDOLOGY] Help with an inscribed object -- one more try

Nityanand Misra nmisra at gmail.com
Sat May 7 03:00:41 UTC 2016

I concur with Prof. Olivelle, it seems to be of Jain origins. While not all
characters can be made out, but one can note something like
श्रीश्रीश्रीरत्नज्ञार[?]वरसूरि in the third and second lines from
bottom. श्रीश्रीश्री and सूरि would indicate reference to a Jain saint.

On 6 May 2016 at 21:24, Olivelle, J P <jpo at austin.utexas.edu> wrote:

> Hans: you have given only the back of the image, but this looks like a
> Jain image — many such images are in existence with the same time of
> inscriptions in the back. Actually, I also have one with a date somewhat
> later than this. I think Losty, formerly of the British Museum, has
> published a book containing similar images. I will try to dig that up for
> you.
>
> Best,
>
> Patrick
>

> On May 6, 2016, at 10:18 AM, Hock, Hans Henrich <hhhock at illinois.edu>
> wrote:
>
> Dear Friends and Colleagues,
>
> A friend who is not an Indologist has asked for help in assessing an
> inscription on an object (image attached).
>
> Several questions arise: 1. Does the object look genuine or could it be a
> fake? 2. Is the Nagari variant compatible with the date of Saṁ 1354 (left
> vertical column)? 3. Is the language Sanskrit or a Sanskritized form of a
> different language? 4. Is it possible to figure out the meaning of the
> inscription (some of the characters are pretty worn down)?
>
> Looking forward to responses and with all best wishes,
> Hans/Hans Henrich/Hans Henrich Hock
>
> <13178584_10153614609788181_8447424678802082905_n.jpg>
>
> 13178584_10153614609788181_8447424678802082905_n

Nityānanda Miśra
http://nmisra.googlepages.com