[INDOLOGY] query about an inscribed object

Nityanand Misra nmisra at gmail.com
Sat May 7 01:46:16 UTC 2016

It reads (with spaces added)

कारीगर वीर नांणरे [?] वास जोधपुर जात सुथार

कारीगर = Artisan
वीर नांणरे [?] = Name of the artisan Vira Nanare [?]
वास जोधपुर = Native of Jodhpur
जात सुथार = Of the Suthar (carpenter) caste

The language is Hindi/Rajasthani, and the text simply gives the name of the
artisan who made this. This carpenter was from Jodhpur and belonged to the
Suthar (carpenter) community.

Looks like a hand made gun or pistol from Rajasthan.