[INDOLOGY] Sanskrit in India

Bill Mak bill.m.mak at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 14:39:51 UTC 2016

Thank you, Howard, for the "Vision and Road Map". I just spent ten days in Sikkim and had the chance to visit half a dozen Pāṭhaśāla and a Government Sanskrit college, meeting school principals, teachers and students, so I am very curious to learn more about this subject. I was quite surprised by the diversity - source of funding (government, RSS, or private), degree of emphasis on oral Sanskrit, incorporation of other regular school subjects, daily routine, practice of recitation, learning of ritual performance, etc. Does anyone know if there is a more comprehensive report, or a thesis on this subject, with basic stats such as breakdown of number of schools by states?

--
Bill M. Mak
Yoshidahonmachi, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8501

Tel:+81-75-753-6961
Fax:+81-75-753-6903

copies of my publications may be found at:
http://www.billmak.com