[INDOLOGY] The Sun as the "21st" CORRECTION

Walter Slaje slaje at kabelmail.de
Mon Mar 21 15:25:02 UTC 2016

Dear Luis,

thank you very much for your clear presentation, skillfully synchronized
with this year’s spring equinox!

How could one disagree with it?

My point, however, was a modest knee-jerk reaction to the interpretation of
Haug’s usage of „equator“ in the brief one-sentence quote under discussion.
>From it, it could hardly have referred to the terrestrial equator in texts
as early as the Brāhmaṇas, given the conception of the earth prevailing at
their time. "Terrestrial" is how I had understood your citation of the word
„equator“
​emphasized by quotation marks, but perhaps mistakenly as it appears now.

A comparison of the Sanskrit text:

*ekaviṃśam etad ahar upayanti viṣuvantam madhye saṃvatsarasyai*

to Haug’s translation of AB 4.18:

„They perform the ceremonies of the Ekaviṃśa day, which is the *equator*,
dividing the year (into two equal parts)“

shows that the term he had translated by „equator“ was *viṣuvant*, which
(apparently in post-Vedic literature only) can also mean „equinox“. What
Haug himself had actually had in mind by using „equator“ becomes however
clear from his introduction (on p. 46f), where he explains the calculation
of the annual Sattra calendar – incidentally in the context of „the sun’s
northern and southern progress“ (*ayana*s) – as follows: „They“ [the
Sattras, W.S.] „were divided into two distinct parts, each consisting of
six months each; in the midst of both was the *Vishuvan*, i.e. *equator *or*
central day*, *cutting the whole Sattra into two halves*.“

Keith, in contrast, translates: „They perform the Ekaviṅça day, the
Viṣuvant, in the middle of the year.“

So much for the background as it relates to Haug
​​
.

Thanks again,

and kind regards,