[INDOLOGY] Publishing contracts

Will Sweetman will.sweetman at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 01:57:33 UTC 2016

In the last few months I've been asked to sign two contracts with Indian
publishers which included what seem to me to be very sweeping liability
statements. Both required me to warrant that the works in question were
original, not plagiarised and did not violate copyright, and that they
contained nothing obscene, indecent, objectionable or libelous (one
added scandalous and indecent). Both contracts required authors and
editors to indemnify the publishers against any costs or losses incurred
as a result of breach of these warranties.

In both cases these were for edited volumes that included editors and
contributors based in India, and I had concerns about the possible
implications of these clauses for those based in India for reasons that
I suspect no-one on this list will need to have specified.

Comparing these contracts with others I've signed with publishers based
in the UK and US, I find that the major difference is that the
warranties required there related only to "obscene, libelous or
unlawful" material, and the indemnity in some cases is limited to losses
or costs arising from breach of copyright alone.

My question is whether "objectionable" in Indian law simply has the same
sense as "unlawful" in other jurisdictions. It seems to me that
objectionable covers a much wider range - but perhaps there is a more
technical sense.

Incidentally, one publisher agreed to amend the contract to a much more
limited warranty and indemnity. In the other case, I was unable to
persuade my fellow editors to push for an amendment, so I'll never know
whether we might have achieved a better position. I think academics too
often sign contracts without any negotiation, and I'd be very interested
to hear (whether on or off list) whether others have been successful in
getting contracts amended.

Best wishes

Will