Re: [INDOLOGY] Origin of Mahācīna

John Huntington john.darumadera at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 20:46:20 UTC 2016

The following provides a concrete example of the use of "mahācīna/e"  the
the context of the practice of Sanskrit Buddhism in the ca. 13th century.

Mahācīna, is widely known among the Newar Buddhists as the homeland of
Mañjuśrī Bodhisattva. It occurs in the Svayambhūpuraṇa and other references
to Mañjuśrī. According to Paul Williams, reference to this connection of
manjusri to Wutai is found in the Avatamsaka, (Williams, Paul. *Mahayana
Buddhism: The Doctrinal Foundations.* 2000. p. 227).
In the famous iconographic set in a Nepalese Astasahasrika (Cambridge 1643)
Mahācīne occurs three times once for *Mañjughoṣaḥ *[folio 202v], once for
*Samantabhadraḥ* [folio 127r], and once for* Buddharūpaka Lokanāthaḥ*
[folio 123v]. Since this manuscript is in Sanskrit, it may be that Mahācīna
was a term known in India at the time ca. 12-13th Cent century.

See: Foucher, A. Étude sur l'Iconographie Bouddhique de l'Inde d'apres des
documents nouveaux, vol. 1. Paris, Ernest Leroux (Tokio, maison
Franco-Japonaies 1928) <
http://dsr.nii.ac.jp/toyobunko/XII-11-C-27/V-1/page/0001.html.en>

John C. Huntington, Professor Emeritus
Buddhist Art, Asian Numismatics,