Re: [INDOLOGY] Origin of Mahācīna

Jonathan Silk kauzeya at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 16:48:35 UTC 2016

To Bill's point about Qin: I am not sure about the _geographical_
self-reference, but we do find -- and I confess I do not know how early or
late this is found, but it's there -- not so rarely the expression 秦言,
which is used to gloss a foreign word, and which we would translate loosely
as something like "In Chinese....".
best, jonathan

PS: I found the point about what is in Dutch sinaasappel wonderful! (The
17th c. form seems more Germanic: appelsien. For more fun facts:
http://www.etymologiebank.nl/trefwoord/appelsien)

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 5:01 PM, Bill Mak <bill.m.mak at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> I believe there are textual issues with the Arthaśāstra and Mahābhārata
> which make the dating of those passages with references to cīna,
> cīnabhūmija, cīnapaṭṭa, etc rather difficult. Many Sanskrit astral texts
> contain kūrmavibhāga type of descriptions, correlating directions with
> country names and thus give us some clues of the geographical knowledge of
> the authors. In early Indo-Greek works like Yavanajātaka and
> Vṛddhayavanajātaka, there is no reference to cīna. In Varāhamihira's
> Bṛhatsaṃhitā (6th century) we find cīna in the the long list of place names
> belonging to the direction NE:
> 14.29ab/ aiśānyāṃ merukanaṣṭarājyapaśupālakīrakāśmīrāḥ/
> 14.29cd/ abhisāradaradataṅgaṇakulūta*sairindhra[K.sairindha]vanarāṣṭrāḥ//
> 14.30ab/ brahmapuradārvaḍāmaravanarājyakirātacīnakauṇindāḥ/
> 14.30cd/ *bhallāḥ
> paṭola[K.bhallāpalola]jaṭāsura*kunaṭakhasa[K.kunaṭhakhaṣa]ghoṣakucikākhyāḥ//
>
> Elsewhere, cīna appeared 8 more times in the text for various types of
> predictions. So for Varāhamihira, the idea of cīna was quite certain.
>
> As for Dan's comment on the origin of China, or even cīna, I don't think
> it can be so easily answered. Qin秦 was indeed the first Chinese empire, but
> it was very short-lived and there is no source I am aware of that Chinese
> ever referred themselves as people from Qin; or conversely, I am not aware
> of the knowledge of the Qin Empire in non-Chinese sources. Chinese
> referring themselves as people from various dynasties did become common
> later on, and indeed in the Chinese Buddhist texts, the reference to the
> people of Qin秦, that is referring to Later Qin (384 - 471 CE), is found
> frequently.
>
> But there are earlier sources which should be mentioned here. In Shijia
> fangzhi 釋迦方志, a quote attributed Chengguanzi成光子 of Later Han, dated 205
> CE, referred China as 振旦國 - country of Zhendan (from Cīnasthāna?). Later
> all, similar Chinese translations 震丹、真丹、真旦、振旦、神丹 are found frequently in
> early Buddhist texts throughout first half of the first millennium. This
> seems to add a Central Asian factor to "cīna", since cīnasthāna is not
> attested in Sanskrit sources. It is possible that the Sanskrit "cīna" was
> adopted from this earlier "cīnasthāna" or similar variants used in Central
> Asia. "Cīna" was translated into Chinese only later, appeared as 脂那
> (zhina) in Narendrayaśas' Chinese translation dated late sixth century
> CE, followed by the more common 支那 (zhina).
>
> Best regards,
> Bill
>

> --
> Bill M. Mak, PhD
> Associate Professor
>
> Institute for Research in Humanities, Kyoto University
> Yoshidahonmachi, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto, Japan 606-8501
> 〒606-8501 京都市左京区吉田本町
> 京都大学人文科学研究所
>
> email: mak at zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
> Tel:+81-75-753-6961
> [...]

J. Silk
Leiden University
Leiden University Institute for Area Studies, LIAS
Matthias de Vrieshof 3, Room 0.05b
2311 BZ Leiden
The Netherlands

copies of my publications may be found at
http://www.buddhismandsocialjustice.com/silk_publications.html