[INDOLOGY] Post-editing a petition at Change.org

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 01:38:20 UTC 2016

Dear colleagues,

Quite apart from the substantive issues​ being discussed relating to the
Murty series editorship, I was puzzled by the procedural rules at
Change.org.  After about four thousand people had signed the present
petition, the name of the person who had started the petition was changed,
and the text of the petition itself was altered.  It surprised me that this
was possible according to the Change.org rules.  Surely it means that the
first four thousand people had signed a somewhat different petition than
the one we see today, to which their names are still attached.

The petition hasn't changed *that* much, so this isn't a very important
point in the present case.  But it's not hard to imagine more extreme
examples.  What if the petitioners changed the petiton in subtle but really
critical ways?   A whole bunch of people could find their names attached to
something they really wouldn't have wished to support.

I wrote to Change.org to ask about this.  Their answer is below.
Basically, they're saying, anyone can do anything, and it's up to the
signatories to watch out that the petition hasn't altered while they
weren't looking.  They can withdraw if they don't like the alterations to
the petition. Caveat emptor.

This policy quite strongly diminishes my trust in the change.org platform.

Best,
Dominik Wujastyk