[INDOLOGY] Indian Furniture

Tieken, H.J.H. H.J.H.Tieken at hum.leidenuniv.nl
Tue Mar 1 08:54:30 UTC 2016

For the colonial period: A. Jaffer, Furniture from British India and Ceylon. London 2001.
I found the reference in a beautiful book written on the occasion of an exhibition in the Gemeentemuseum in The Hague: Wonen op de Kaap en in Batavia 1602-1795. Zwolle: Waanders Uitgevers, Den Haag: Gemeentemuseum (no year). The book contains contributions from various authors. In the bibliography many publications dealing with individual pieces of "oriental" (Dutch Indies, Malay, etc.) furniture, but also what seem to be more general studies, like the one by Jaffer mentioned above, A. Christie, "Der Mittlere Osten, Indien und Sudostasien", in: H. Haywoord (ed.), Mobel: eine Stilgeschichte durch vier Jahrtausende. Wiesbaden 1965: 312-15 (apparently a very short article) and J Veenendaal, Furniture from Indonesia, Sri Lanka and India during the Dutch Period. Delft 1985.
Herman Tieken

Herman Tieken
Stationsweg 58
2515 BP Den Haag