Re: [INDOLOGY] khaṇḍa- and daṇḍānvaya

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 08:52:14 UTC 2016

Dear Prof. Klebanov,

> I read that the commentarial styles of daṇḍa- and khaṇḍānvaya- stem from
(the linguistic theories? textual history? of) nyāya- and mīmāṃsā
respectively

If you remember the exact place where you read this, you might want to
consult with the original authors about this.

The naiyaayika view of sentence as
yogyataakaankshaasattisahitapadasamudaaya includes the idea of aakaankshaa
and the method of aakaankshaa that is followed in traditional Sanskrit
learning need not necessarily be connected to this.

The two meemaamsaka schools of abhihitaanvayavaada and
anvitaabhidhaanavaada too need not necessarily be connected to daNDa or
khaNDa anvaya.

But the authors who mentioned the point might have some basis for their
observations.

They are the best ones to consult in this regard.

Regards,

-N

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.