[INDOLOGY] My encounters with the new Pune

Jesse Knutson jknutson at hawaii.edu
Thu Jun 23 23:09:44 UTC 2016

Dear Madhav-mahodaya, As I have already told you off list, I find these
poems really beautiful and extraordinary. I especially loved
'gallIbhūṣaṇa...', but also found these ones about running into your old
playmate really delightful. The poems appeal to me so much because of their
simplicity, unabashed modernity, and playful wit. They definitely merit
publication as a collection and it will really be a gift to modern Sanskrit
literature. भवदीयः,J

> My encounters in the new Pune
>
> यदा यदाहं गच्छामि पुरीं पुण्यां तदा तदा ।
> प्राचीनता मदीया मां विष्टभ्नाति पदे पदे ।।
> "Whenever I go to the Pune City, then my ancientness obstructs me at every
> step."
>
> हनूमन्तो गणेशाश्च मार्गे मार्गे पुराभवन् ।
> न तानाधुनिको वेत्ति कोऽपि वाहनचालक: ।।
> "In earlier times, there were Hanuman and Ganesh temples on every street,
> but none of the modern drivers know them."
>
> “कथयस्व नवं किञ्चिन्नाम यद्विदितं मम ।
> किञ्चित् चीनान्नभवनं प्रथितं कञ्चिदापणम् ।।
> The driver says: "Tell me some new name that I know, some place of Chinese
> food, or some famous shop,"
>
> पिझ्झागृहं नाट्यगृहं नृत्यस्थानं सुरापणम् ।
> वद किञ्चित् मम ज्ञातं स्थानं यद् गन्तुमिच्छसि” ।।
> "Or, some Pizza place, or drama house, or dance studio, or a wine shop.
> Tell me some place that I know where you wish to go."
>
> इत्युक्ते मूकतां यामि, न जानामि नवं पुरम् ।
> कथं कुत्र गमिष्यामि नवेऽस्मिन् पुण्यपत्तने ।।
> When he says this, I become silent. I don't know this new city. How can I
> go anywhere in this new Pune?
>
> यस्यां पुर्यामहं जात: शिक्षितश्चाप्यहं पुरा ।
> न सा पुरी मां जानाति, न च जानामि तामहम् ।।
> The city where I was born and educated many years ago, that city does not
> know me, and I don't know it.
>
> स्मरामि यां पुरीं नित्यमत्र सा विस्मृतिं गता ।
> या पुरी वर्तते तत्र तदन्यत् पुण्यपत्तनम् ।।
> The Pune city that I always remember is mostly forgotten here. The city
> that exists here is a different Pune city.
>
> स्मरामि यां पुण्यपुरीं सा मे मनसि जीवति ।
> यां पुरीमधुना यामि, न सा मे मनसि स्थिता ।।
> I remember the Pune city that lives in my mind, and the city that I visit
> now is not in my memory.
>
> भूतकालात् समायातो न जाने नवपत्तनम् ।
> नवा पुरी पृच्छति मां “कस्त्वं,” किं करवाण्यहम् ।।
> I arrive from an ancient past and don't recognize the new city. The new
> city asks me: "who are you?" What shall I do?
>
> “कस्त्वं कुत: समायात:, मराठीं भाषसे पुन: ।
> वाणी तथापि ते भाति किञ्चित् प्राचीनकालिकी ।।
> The driver says to me: "Where have you come from? You do speak Marathi,
> and yet your speech appears to be somewhat old fashioned."
>
> भवान् टिळकवद् ब्रूते ब्रूते वा विष्णुशास्त्रिवत् ।
> नास्मिन् पुरेऽधुना कोऽपि मराठीं भाषते तथा ।।
> "You speak like Lokmanya Tilak or like Vishnushastri Chiplunkar. In this
> city no one now speaks like that."
>
> कुत्रेदृशी मराठी वाक् प्राचीनाद्यापि वर्तते ।
> पुराणीं भाषते कस्मात् मराठीमधुना भवान्” ।।
> "Where does this old fashioned Marathi continue to be spoken? Why do you
> even now speak this old fashioned Marathi?"
>
> इति श्रुत्वा न जानामि किं वक्तव्यं मयाधुना ।
> प्राचीने काल एवाहं निर्गत: पुण्यपत्तनात् ।।
> Hearing this, I don't know what to say, since I did leave the Pune city
> long ago.
>
> मया सह समायाता मराठी वाक् पुरातनी ।
> अहं तामेव जानामि भाषे तामेव सम्प्रति ।।
> The old Marathi language came with me. I only know that old Marathi
> language, and continue to speak the same."
>
> “अस्त्वेवम्” इति मामुक्त्वा स मे वाहनचालक: ।
> [...]

Jesse Ross Knutson PhD
Assistant Professor of Sanskrit and Bengali, Department of Indo-Pacific
Languages and Literatures
University of Hawai'i at Mānoa
461 Spalding