[INDOLOGY] Devanagari font adequacy

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 22:08:44 UTC 2016

Another font to take seriously is the new Murty Hindi
<http://www.murtylibrary.com/mcli-fonts.php>, which is pretty good for Skt
too.   It's a font that, to my eye, looks a lot better on paper than on the
screen.

Nota bene also an interesting new Devanagari font created  by Alessandro
Graheli, that can be seen in his recent publication *History and
Transmission of the Nyāyamañjarī. Critical Edition of the Section on the
Sphoṭa *
(Vienna: ​​
Verlag der Österreichischen Akademie der Wissenschaften, 2015
<http://www.ikga.oeaw.ac.at/Mitarbeiter/Graheli>
​) <http://www.ikga.oeaw.ac.at/Mitarbeiter/Graheli>​.  Alessandro has been
strongly influenced by his long experience with Sanskrit manuscripts, and
his font reflects the influence of scribal traditions, for example the
interrupted akṣara-by-akṣara mātrā line.  It's subtle.

Best,
Dominik

--
Professor Dominik Wujastyk* <http://ualberta.Academia.edu/DominikWujastyk>
Singhmar Chair in Classical Indian Society and Polity