[INDOLOGY] suicide as a result of love

Andrew Ollett andrew.ollett at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 06:51:15 UTC 2016

I have the feeling that this is a relatively common motif in story
literature. The one example that comes to mind is the Prakrit verse romance
Līlāvatī, in which one of the characters (Kuvalayāvalī) has a "gandharva"
wedding with a Gandharva (Citrāṅgada), and when her father finds out and
curses them, she is so overcome with shame that she tries to hang herself
from a tree. She is stopped at the last moment by her mother Rambhā. This
is around v. 658 in A.N. Upadhye's edition.