[INDOLOGY] Sanskrit verses and logical sentences.

Mrinal Kaul mrinalkaul81 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 13:02:21 UTC 2016

Dear Harry,

I wonder if you are referring to what Jayaratha calls structural unity
(*sañcaya
nyāya*) in the *Tantrāloka-viveka* (TĀV). Abhinavagupta ends each *āhnika*
of the TĀ with the first half of the concluding verse and begins the
subsequent *āhnika* with the second half of the same verse. This strategy
is followed in all chapters except in *āhnika* 36. See TĀV: *iha
āhnikādāhnikāntarasya sañcayanyāyena parasparamanusyūtatāṃ darśayitum
ekenaiva ślokena*
*tatparyantaprārambhayorupasaṃhāropakramau karoti, iti asya granthakārasya
śailī* | (cf. TĀV, Vol I, p. 309
​,​
​ KSTS​
).  Also quoted by Navjivan Rastogi (1987:76-78) in the "Introduction to
the *Tantrāloka" (MLBD)*.

Also see TĀV, Vol 12, p 390:  *iha āhnikādāhnikāntarasya
parasparamanusyūtatāṃ darśayitumādyantayorekena ślokena*
*pṛthagupasaṃhāropakramayorupanibandhe.api sāṃprataṃ granthānte
tadāśleṣamatyantamavadyotayitamekenaiva*
*ardhena yugapattadupanibandha **iti* |

I hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Mrinal​