[INDOLOGY] Fwd: {भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्} Question regarding the lineage of Appayya Dīkṣita

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Mon Jul 25 20:54:28 UTC 2016

Dear Indology Colleages,

     As you can see from the attached extract of the Sanskrit Introduction
to the 1864 pothi print edition of Veṅkaṭādhvarin's Lakṣmīsahasra,
evidently, while the great Appayya Dīkṣita was mainly a Śaiva Advaitin
vehemently attacking especially the Mādhva Vaiṣṇavas in his
Madhvatantramukhamardana, his son Raghunātha Dīkṣita and grandson
Veṅkaṭādhvarin were Vaiṣṇavas.  Among his later descendants we have Śaiva
scholars like Nīlakaṇṭha Dīkṣita.  How did these Śaiva and Vaiṣṇava
affiliations develop within this one and the same family?  If anyone knows
sources for the family history of Appayya Dīkṣita and his lineage, I would
very much appreciate to know those sources.  Thanks for your assistance.

Madhav M. Deshpande
Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA