[INDOLOGY] Metrical question (arya)

Martin Gansten martin.gansten at pbhome.se
Thu Jul 14 16:28:59 UTC 2016

Namo vṛttavidvadbhyaḥ:

Balabhadra's /Hāyanaratna /contains the following quotation from an
astrological work no longer extant:

/saṃtāpa-sahamam aharniśam indor mandāntaṃ ṣaṣṭhataḥ pātaḥ |//
/
'The /sahama /of affliction by day and night is [the distance] from the
moon up to Saturn; the casting out is [done] from the sixth.'

Ignoring the technical content for the present, I am puzzled by the
metre. All other quotations from the same work are in āryā, and the
present half-stanza looks like it too, except for the initial word
(/saṃtāpa-/). Is there a variant of āryā that would allow for these
extra 5 morae? All the mss of the /Hāyanaratna /available to me agree on
the reading.

Martin Gansten