[INDOLOGY] Indra

rainer stuhrmann r.stuhrmann at t-online.de
Sun Jul 3 09:02:14 UTC 2016

Sūrya is once said to be hári-keśa (10,137,7) and also, in association
with the rising of the sun, hári-keśa is once said from Savitar, RV
10.139,1ab:

sū́ryaraśmir hárikeśaḥ purástāt savitā́ jyótir úd ayām̐ ájasram /

“With rays of the sun, with yellow-red (golden) hair, from the east
Savitar has just raised up the unfading light.”

Also Agni is once, RV 3,2,13,  said to be hári-keśa and RV 1, 79,1, to
be of "golden hair" (híraṇya-keśa).

This seems to be metaphoric in contrast to Indra´s anthropomorphic
descriptions.

Rainer