[INDOLOGY] DNA and caste

Jan E.M. Houben jemhouben at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 10:48:33 UTC 2016

Another study that can contribute to a more productive approach (which does
not try to replace philological and historical study by "natural science")
is
*This Fissured Land: An Ecological History of India* (new, revised edition
appeared in 2013), by two Indian authors, Madhav Gadgil et Ramachandra Guha.
For a review of the first edition (1992) see:
http://jpe.library.arizona.edu/volume_1/brodtvol1.htm
We find in this book, inter alia:
- A theory to explain several features of the caste system (which,
according to the authors, has its origins in a large ecological
transformation in India in the period of about BC 700-500 AD; next big
transformation / ecological catastrophe: in the colonial period) (theory
which invokes neither God nor race nor genetics as an explanatory factor);
- An original reading and at the end, I believe, a convincing one, of some
passages in the Mahabharata as reflecting this ancient ecological
transformation;
- A theory of ecological conditions for the emergence of Buddhism, 500 BC.
AD (relatively "egalitarian" religion, which, after 1500 years, disappeared
from India but continued in SE Asia and elsewhere);
- And (a sketch of an) analysis of the history of the world which should
interest both Marxists and anti-Marxists: more "materialistic" than Marx,
the analysis takes as starting point the *mode of resource use* (rather
than the *mode of economic production*).
Best,
Jan Houben