[INDOLOGY] External Origin of Dravidian

Tieken, H.J.H. H.J.H.Tieken at hum.leidenuniv.nl
Mon Jan 25 09:38:59 UTC 2016

Dear Suresh,

As to your note:

"As Herman Tieken had suggested earlier, Tamil cannot be the language of the southernmost region of Dravidian migration, and at the same time be the most conservative Dravidian language."

Unless I understand you wrongly, I said the opposite. The point I tried to make is that if Dravidian migrated from north to south, the southernmost speakers speak the most conservative form of Dravidian, on the assumption that they were the ones who broke away from the original home of Dravidian first and that every next movement further south was from this vanguard. Vice versa, if Dravidian moved from south to north, as the adherents of the Lemuria scenario assume, Tamil as the language nearest to the original home (Lemuria), broke away last and would thus be less conservative that the Dravidian languages further to the north. I added that as some of the adherents of the Lemuria scenario go so far as to argue that all languages of the world have their origin in Lemuria, my mother tongue Dutch at the North Sea would represent a more conservative form of Dravidian than Tamil, an honor Dutch would share with Irish.
Herman

Herman Tieken
Stationsweg 58
2515 BP Den Haag