[INDOLOGY] External Origin of Dravidian

George Hart glhart at berkeley.edu
Sun Jan 24 18:38:52 UTC 2016

Murray Emeneau did not know Tamil, and on many occasions he expressed to me his regret that he had not learned it. In the DED, he and Burrow always put the Tamil occurrence of a word first. Murray worked with my wife, Kausalya, and used her knowledge of modern (and old) Tamil to show that in onomatopoetic words, PDr must have had voiced initial stops. The issue, I think, is not whether old Tamil is very conservative or not — it clearly is. It is that by itself it cannot serve as a window into PDr. For that, every Dravidian language is obviously required, and one must look at the major branches of the family. Still, I would venture that of all the Dravidian languages that are documented, Sangam Tamil is by far the closest to PDr. To try to understand Dravidian comparative linguistics without considering old Tamil would be pointless. My guess is that Sangam Tamil is about as close to PDr as Vedic Sanskrit is to PIE. George