[INDOLOGY] External Origin of Dravidian

Suresh Kolichala suresh.kolichala at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 15:26:01 UTC 2016

Dear Nagaraj gaaru,

I hope you agree that the verb form ir- 'to be' *[DEDR 480]* either as
copula or independent verb cannot be attested in Telugu. This verb, so
important in South Dravidian, is remarkably absent in Central and North
Dravidian languages, and in many of South-Central languages. In Telugu, you
may find noun forms such as iravu 'place', irugu 'neighbour, neighbourhood'
etc. which can possibly be argued as recent borrowings from Kannada or
Tamil.

The words *ṟē**vu* (ఱేవు), *ṟē**vaḍu* (ఱేవడు), *ṟē**vadi* (ఱేవది) etc. are
not derived from  'iravu' (<ir-) (note the alveolar trill, instead of
tap). They
are related to *[DEDR 516]*  *iṯ-/iṟ- 'to descend', 'to go beyond' *iṟaṅku*
(*iṟaṅki*-) to descend, alight, fall (as rain), disembark; *iṟaṅkal* place
of descent, of debarkation etc.

If you believe in my proposed theory of external origin of Dravidian, then
the whole question of what constitutes Proto-Dravidian becomes problematic.
 Under the usual historical linguistic principles, words and features found
only in one branch (South Dravidian, in this case) do not provide evidence
for parent language (Proto-Dravidian). But Dravidian linguists have been
wrongly reconstructing words and features found only in South Dravidian
(esp. Tamil) to the parent language under the assumption that Tamil
represents the archaic form of Dravidian. It is a classic catch-22
situation.

I believe there is an urgent need to reevaluate the Dravidian languages
considering the possibility of pre-Dravidian substrata in various branches
of the Dravidian languages. Suspending the belief that Tamil represents the
most archaic form of Dravidian would be a starting point in this endeavour.

Regards,
Suresh.