[INDOLOGY] Kittel's list

George Hart glhart at berkeley.edu
Fri Jan 15 15:37:55 UTC 2016

I’d note that there are some important old words in Sanskrit and Tamil that seem to have no satisfactory etymology in either language. Two I have noticed are kāla / kālam and kāma / kāmam. Of course it is impossible to generalize from two words — we don’t have enough data — but it would be interesting to take the “niṣādic” words in Hindi and see if there are Dravidian correlates.

I’d ask Suresh why Tamil, the southernmost Dravidian language, is the most conservative. If Dravidian speakers had entered India (from the east?) and moved through a huge territory of “Niṣādic” (and other?) speakers, one would expect Tamil to be far more changed from Proto-Dravidian than it is. George