[INDOLOGY] FYI: Spoken Sanskrit blog entry plus discussion at "Language Log"

Jean-Luc Chevillard jean-luc.chevillard at univ-paris-diderot.fr
Sun Jan 10 11:36:12 UTC 2016

Inside that blog entry, see one statement made by David Shulman:

// Spoken Sanskrit uses the classical morphology (the verbal system
perhaps somewhat reduced in its range), but its syntax often follows
whatever spoken mother tongue the speaker uses. In this, however, it is
continuous with medieval written Sanskrit which, despite what one reads
in various primers and other works, is actually a left-branching
language (like all other South Asian languages in the Dravidian and
Indo-Iranian families), unlike Vedic, which is right-branching (like
Greek, Latin, English, German, etc.).  Also, medieval Sanskrit has the
same profusion of modal and aspectual forms that we find in other South
Asian languages, although these forms have largely gone unnoticed by
scholars trained in the old Indo-European paradigms. //

((David Shulman, inside "http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=23412")

That statement reminded me of earlier remarks, on INDOLOGY, concerning
the features labeled "left-branching" and "right-branching", discussed
in August 2015 on this list.

See for instance Hans Henrich Hock's message, dated 18th August
which started with:

"Let me add a few more cents’ worth.
The idea that Indo-Aryan, including Sanskrit, fundamentally differs from
Dravidian in its syntactic typology, though sanctioned by a certain
“tradition” in South Asian linguistics, is problematic on several
counts. [...]"

(("http://list.indology.info/pipermail/indology_list.indology.info/2015-August/041998.html"))

I, for one, would welcome seeing more pointers towards published literature

-- Jean-Luc Chevillard (in Paris)

"https://univ-paris-diderot.academia.edu/JeanLucChevillard"

"https://plus.google.com/u/0/113653379205101980081/posts/p/pub"

"https://twitter.com/JLC1956"