[INDOLOGY] amrita

Dipak Bhattacharya dipak.d2004 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 05:46:05 UTC 2016

Dear Professor Karp,
You have asked a question that assumes something, perhaps rihgtly, yet that
is not fully clear to scholars. A rivalry between the gods and the asuras
is reported in the Aitareya Brahmana but the AB is post-Rgvedic. *asura  *is,
at least mostly, a noble concept in the Rgveda. The seed of the Puranic
idea could be traced to its origin in the RV but the idea was not widely
spread. As Macdonell reports it occurs four times to mean some beings
opposed to the gods. But I have not checked. However, there is no mention
of the term *asura* in the story of the Panis (RV 10.108). In the Avesta
the term means 'powerrful', 'lord'. .
Best
DB