[INDOLOGY] Divine law

Howard Resnick hr at ivs.edu
Mon Dec 5 20:52:29 UTC 2016

In the following lecture at Harvard Divinity, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FL-RQpbYiQ <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FL-RQpbYiQ> we find the claim that the notion of divine law originates in ancient Greek and Jewish traditions, with the following difference:

Greeks traced the divinity of divine law to its intrinsic objectivy, universality, and immutability.

Jewish law claims that divine law is divine because it expresses the will of God.

My question: do we find a clear notion of divine law in, say, the Rg Veda? If so, how does it compare with the two notions cited above? And how does it evolve or transform over time?

Thanks!
Howard