[INDOLOGY] Hindi spelling changes and Manaki grammar book

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 04:21:21 UTC 2016

Manak Hindi Grammar book is not the name of any specific book.

Maanak (in the sense of standard) is a generic word prefixed to many Hindi
grammar book names.

To insist on the vowel in the (C)V(V)_# position , in stead of CV(V)y/vV#
is guided by the preference for the older (Prakrit grammar rule based ?)
form.

On Sat, Dec 3, 2016 at 8:53 AM, Harry Spier <hspier.muktabodha at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thank you Dick,
>
> You've made it much clearer.  What is the source of these variations in
> spelling the Govt. is trying to standardize, Are these regional variations?
>

> Harry Spier
>
> On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 7:45 AM, Dick Plukker <d.plukker at inter.nl.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Dear Harry Spier,
>>
>> I am afraid I don’t know the Manak Hindi grammar book you mentioned, but
>> the most recent (2016) publication (in Hindi) of the Central Hindi
>> Directorate (of the Ministry of Human Resource Development), *Standardization
>> of Devanagari Script and Hindi Spelling*, says on p. 30, par. 3.13 (on
>> the euphonic glides ya and va) that in cases where the use of ya is
>> optional (jhukāye or jhukāe) the spelling with the glide is to be avoided.
>> The same rule was formulated in earlier publications of the Directorate,
>> already in the sixties of the previous century.
>>
>> It is not a spelling reform, but rather an attempt from the side of the
>> government to standardize the spelling of Hindi.
>>
>> The booklet can be downloaded for free at:
>>
>> http://hindinideshalaya.nic.in/hindi/schemeofpublication/
>> FinalDevnagriLipi_05-07-2016.pdf
>>
>> Yours,
>>
>> Dick Plukker
>> Op 2-12-2016 om 09:14 schreef Harry Spier:
>>
>> Dear list members,
>>
>> I've been asked a question about a Hindi spelling change and I'm not a
>> Hindi speaker so any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> I've been told that the Manaki Hindi grammar book rule 2.13.1 says to
>> change the spelling of āye to āe in Hindi words.
>>
>>  And the example I've been given is jhukāye should be spelled jhukhāe
>>
>> I've been asked what this is about.
>> Is this a spelling modernization or  some kind of official spelling
>> reform?
>> Or two different types of Hindi spelling like British english and
>> Amarican english?
>> Are there other spelling changes prescribed in the Manaki Hindi grammar
>> book?
>> What is the Manaki Hindi grammar?  Does it have some kind of special
>> status.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Harry Spier

Nagaraj Paturi