[INDOLOGY] Hindi spelling changes and Manaki grammar book

Harry Spier hspier.muktabodha at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 08:14:55 UTC 2016

Dear list members,

I've been asked a question about a Hindi spelling change and I'm not a
Hindi speaker so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've been told that the Manaki Hindi grammar book rule 2.13.1 says to
change the spelling of āye to āe in Hindi words.

 And the example I've been given is jhukāye should be spelled jhukhāe

I've been asked what this is about.
Is this a spelling modernization or  some kind of official spelling reform?
Or two different types of Hindi spelling like British english and Amarican
english?
Are there other spelling changes prescribed in the Manaki Hindi grammar
book?
What is the Manaki Hindi grammar?  Does it have some kind of special status.

Thanks,
Harry Spier