[INDOLOGY] Another question on arya metre

Martin Gansten martin.gansten at pbhome.se
Sun Aug 21 09:03:21 UTC 2016

I have once more come up against a quotation from an astrological work
no longer extant, with a variant of āryā that I don't recognize:

divase ca varṣalagne dinakheṭānāṃ niśāgate ’nyeṣām |
balam adhikaṃ krūrasthāne ca śubhair aśubham anyathā tu śubham ||

'If the ascendant of the year [falls] in the daytime, the strength of
the diurnal planets is greater; if in the nighttime, [the strength] of
the other [planets]. By the benefic [planets falling] in an evil place,
there is misfortune; good fortune if it is otherwise.'

Both halves of the verse consist of 30 mātrās, but in the second
half-verse they seem to divide into 15+15 rather than 12+18. Is this a
permissible variant or a sign of textual corruption? I haven't seen the
variant described anywhere, but all mss at my disposal agree on the
reading. Many thanks in advance for any hints!

Martin Gansten