[INDOLOGY] avagraha and sanskrit meter

Marco Franceschini franceschini.marco at fastwebnet.it
Sat Aug 20 16:23:12 UTC 2016

> The Vājasaneyi Prātiśākhya mentions that:
>
> samāse’vagraho hrasvasamakālaḥ (5.1)
>
> “In [the padapāṭha of] a compound, the avagraha has the same time has a hrasva vowel.”

The same is stated in the Ṛgvedaprātiśākhya:

mātrā hrasvaḥ (1.27) tāvad avagrahāntaram (1.28): “A short vowel has one mora. That much is the interval of an avagraha.”

In his commentary Uvaṭa says: hrasvasvaro mātrākālo devitavyaḥ | yathā a ṛ i u ḷ iti |

Best,

Marco Franceschini
Fixed-term Researcher
University of Bologna