[INDOLOGY] Query

Lubin, Tim LubinT at wlu.edu
Thu Aug 11 14:47:17 UTC 2016

P.S. re Tilakasvāmin — the name Tilakeśvara is also attested, though not common.  It seems NOT, however, be connectable with Tilakasvāmin:

There is a Pandya Tilakeśvara temple at Devīpaṭṭaṇam near Rāmeśvaram with an inscription; the deity is Śiva (with Saundaryanāyakī).

There is a Tilakeśvara temple erected by king Karmāditya in L.S. 213 = 1332 A.D.

Tilakeśvara is a tīrtha mentioned in the Revākhaṇḍa of the Vāyu Purāṇa (230.56).

There is a Tilakeshwar temple in Gujarat, but it is a Śiva temple so named because it stands in Tilakwada — or is it the other way around?

The Kurud copperplate grant of Narendra in MP (6th c.) was issued from the king’s camp at Tilakeśvara.  Nothing more seems to be known about the place.

Gifts of slaves and farmland by an official named Kumārasvamin to Tilakeśvara are recorded in the Cambodian stele inscription K. 664 (sometime between the 6th c. and 8th c.).  I don’t think the temple is identifiable.

So not much help here.

Best,

Tim

Timothy Lubin
Professor of Religion and Adjunct Professor of Law
Chair of the Department of Religion
Washington and Lee University
Lexington, Virginia 24450

http://home.wlu.edu/~lubint